Sunday, July 9, 2023

PULLUPS "Formula"

 

A thought was running through my mind on how to help a friend achieve his first double digit set of pullups... and realized that my own pullups lately has been pretty crappy.

I have no problem still knocking out 10+ in a set but overall in a session, usual numbers were kinda of sketchy from day to day. Kept thinking if my messed up shoulder had something to do with it. Yet..... I wasn't convinced that was the entire issue.

Then I realized I wasn't following the advice I had been dishing out to others! Or at least not sufficiently. Having so many things to train for these days meant I couldn't keep a good focus even on my basic staples like Pullups.

Damn!

Finished the evening stretch session and some shrimp squats---  decided firstly to 

  • EMPTY THE MIND.
  • RELOAD INPUT OF WHAT TO DO
  • STICK WITH MODERATE REPS/SET and PUSH FOR HIGHER SETS/VOLUME

 

Kick off with 8 sets of 5 weighted [10kg] Pulls. Followed by the usual bodyweight reps of 7 per set

BUT not before reminding myself to...

GRIP hard & squeeze fingers esp last 2 

PACK the scapula !!!                             

TIGHTEN the cores                                

SQUEEZE the glutes                               

PUSH elbows in when pulling                

That made all the difference today with the 8 sets of weighted as compared to the last few weighted pullup session. Every rep felt positive!

Moving on to body-weight hollow body pulls-- normally I stop between 4-5 (ie 28-35 with sets of 7)

Pressed on to 9 sets today. The key was getting all focused prior to the start which resulted in all with relatively good form and positive-feeling reps till the very last one... by strictly following the GPT-P sequence to the hilt.

Other than the lack of usual fatigue during those last few sets as compared to usual-- post workout was a lot lighter and less tiring. Felt like I could easily go on to 200 today without struggle... but let's fix the left shoulder on Tues before any monster attempt.