Thursday, September 14, 2023

Workout when abroad...

Last year Sep was the first week long overseas trip after 2 years of pandemic. It was the fifth month since starting "daily" workout. With the right elbow medial epicondylitis  being pretty bad, I was taking the opportunity to recuperate. But at the same time wasn't all that prepared with the much less than usual workouts that week.

The hotel gym's heaviest dumbbells were a pair of 20kg. Same time last year, that was about what I can handle at home for dumbbell chest press, with the adjustable Nuobell setting at 44lb. Was only just about to move up to the next setting at 53lb...

Fast forward...  a year later. The place was a little more run down this time. Signs of poor economy hitting everywhere. No change to the equipment, the same rack of forlorn looking dumbbells were staring at me.

By now, the 20kg pair is almost just enough for my warmup sets. Being all there is, I crank out 3x the reps in a set to make up for the lack of the usual loads 

Repeated day one upon arrival with a chest workout at the gym just like the previous year. Recalled last year here was the first time I actually did bench-press in almost 28 years! This time around, I loaded up the sketchy looking bench up to 70kg for a quick session.

 

Previous trip wasn't well planned in terms of how to go about my workouts. All I had with me was a set of cheap resistance bands which were used in the hotel room with some pushups (~200) and airsquats (~200).  

This year, including other trips to Paris and London, all of which I had miss my pull days/ sessions the most. 

Wondered if packing a pullup bar in the luggage was actually a good idea.

Only way to find out...

... and it was the best thing I did for overseas workout sessions!

 

Overall its comparatively lesser than a usual week back in Singapore but trips for tradefairs are always long hours saddled with lengthy dinner afterwards. Then there is of coursestill the usual pile of emails to sift througg daily, so squeezing all of these in isn't too shabby I reckon.

Had this paranoia when the pullup bar was stuffed into the luggage. Together with my rope to be a portable aid over the usual bamboo stick for my daily "Shoulder Dislocation" exercise for mobility and shoulder recovery, I was wondering what what airport security think when they scan my case.

But now, after this time... I'm definitely not travelling without the bar.